Monday, August 13, 2012

What do we really need?

I'm a very simple person. Anyone that knows me can tell you it doesn't take much to make me happy. How much stuff do we really need? I'm not big on stuff, that's for sure, but I do manage to clutter up my desk and my dresser with junk. Receipts, photos, hair clips, jewelry and lots of JUNK. Due to a behavior issue in our house, I literally put everything from one of my kids' rooms into a large plastic container, from which, the "stuff" could be earned back with acceptable behavior. (This would be a story for another post.) I asked her to make a list of the top five things she wanted to earn back, and she could only think of three. Three items out of a TON OF JUNK. That made me realize how much stuff we have and don't even know we have it. It's been two weeks now and the bucket of stuff is still taking up residence in my bedroom. Taking this to an adult level, I'd like to just swipe my arm across my desk and dresser and through my entire house and put everything in a box. If I don't need it in a few months, it can just be donated or given away or recycled. While this is easier said than done..... What would you keep if you could only keep five things from each of your rooms? Why? This is not a test for a home evacuation due to Mother Nature, either. It is a question worth asking- why do we have this "stuff" lying around our house? Can someone else make better use of it? Would someone else appreciate it more than I/we do?

1 comment:

  1. I have these thoughts everyday. My issue is finding the time to prioritize that massive clean out project! Steph Y

    ReplyDelete